You know what makes me sick? (Well, besides for THAT), most commenters on other blogs…I’ve been reading the comments over at Fr Z’s blog
I’d put my comments there, however, it’s going to be as long as a blog post, and I don’t post super long things on anyone’s blog.
1. The NO is NOT a protestant Missal. For if it were the Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ would NOT be present AT ALL. Now, are there deficencies with the Missal? Of course, Heck, we’re finite creatures expressing the infinite, of course there are going to be deficiencies in Theological expression. God is a mystery (CCC 234, 237) and reason alone can not comprehend such.
2. Did we forget about ex opere operato? The Sacraments operate independent of the state of grace of the minister, independent of any theological deficiencies. Why? It is Christ HIMSELF, through the person of the priest. Nothing happens on the priests own merit. Christ is not dependent on our own weaknesses, whatever they may be. He is God, lest ye forget.
3. If we’re not willing to die for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we ought to look at ourselves more closely. The good archbishop is correct.
4. The instability is with the Ordinary Form of the Mass (let me explain), the abuses, the sacrileges are going on the OF, The Holy Father is absolutely right in focusing on the one lost sheep in the Liturgical shipwreck, rather than the 99 who are safe from the shipwreck. He must first bring sobriety and reverence back to the OF before even getting to celebrating the EF in public. (Which as I’ve mentioned on here is something that is very complex to pull off), don’t anticipate a Solemn Papal Pontifical High Mass, anticipate a Papal Low Mass if you’re expecting the EF to be celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI. How about praying for our Holy Father that he not get attacked by the wolves?
5. I’ve seen my fair share of liturgical abuses, but I’ve never seen these clown Masses, we don’t know if these pictures were taken from actual Catholic Masses. Henry is right, when the photographic so called evidence isn’t enough, we don’t have absolute certainty.
**Most of what people have problems with in the NO, from what I’ve seen is the externals. Those can be fixed 😉