Gen 18, 1-10; Ps 15, 2-5; Col 1, 24-28; Lk 10, 38-42
- The Lord appears to Abraham, nothing is impossible with God
- a. The Holy Trinity appears to Abraham, God = 3 Persons, 1 God.
- b. CCC 234: The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of Christian faith and life. It is the mystery of God in himself. It is therefore the source of all the other mysteries of faith, the light that enlightens them. It is the most fundamental and essential teaching in the “hierarchy of the truths of faith.”56 The whole history of salvation is identical with the history of the way and the means by which the one true God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, reveals himself to men “and reconciles and unites with himself those who turn away from sin.B2: CCC 237: The Trinity is a mystery of faith in the strict sense, one of the “mysteries that are hidden in God, which can never be known unless they are revealed by God.”58 To be sure, God has left traces of his Trinitarian being in his work of creation and in his Revelation throughout the Old Testament. But his inmost Being as Holy Trinity is a mystery that is inaccessible to reason alone or even to Israel’s faith before the Incarnation of God’s Son and the sending of the Holy Spirit.
b. Trinity is not mystery that we can understand with Reason Alone.
c. This is the mystery that has been revealed in Christ, that God is 3 persons, One God
d. We profess this in the Credo.
- The Cross of Christ Lacks nothing, so why does St Paul say that he makes up for the afflictions?a. He Unites His suffering to that of Christ (redemptive suffering)b. You need only look at the Cross to see the value of suffering. No easy ticket, must deny ourselves and take up our Crosses.
- Priests and Bishops are responsible for the souls under their care.a. In union with the Pope and the One True Shepard Christ Himselfb. Important to pray for your priests and Bishops that they may be holy for your sake.
- Unfortunately many see this as Jesus rebuking Marthaa. Not the case, yet their is time and place for everythingb. St Augustine “Martha was as well engaged in ministering to the bodily wants or wishes of Our Lord as wof one who was mortal, but He who was clothed in mortal flesh, in the beginning was the Word Behold then what Mary heard, The word was made flesh. Behold then Him to whom Martha ministered. The one was labouring, the other at rest. But yet Martha when much was troubled in her occupation and business of serving interrupted Our Lord and complained of her sister, For it follows, and said Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? For Mary was absorbed in the sweetness of Our Lord’s words; Martha was preparing a feast for Our Lord in whose feast Mary was now rejoicing. While then she was listening with delight to those sweet words, and was feeding on them with the deepest affection Our Lord was interrupted by her sister, What must we supposes was her alarm, lest the Lord should say to her “Rise, and go help your sister?” Our Lord therefore who was not at a loss for He had shown He was the Lord answered as follows. And Jesus answered and said to her Martha, Martha, the repetition of the name is a mark of love, or perhaps drawing the attention that she should listen more earnestly, when twice called, she hears, you are troubled about may things, that is you art busied about many things, For man wishes to meet with something when he is serving and can not, and thus between seeking what is wanting and preparing what is at hand, the mind is distracted. For if Martha had been sufficient of herself, she would not have required the aid of her sister. There are many there are diverse things which are carnal, temporal, but one is preferred to many. For one is not from many, but from many one. Hence it follows, but one thing is needful, Mary wished to be occupied about one according to that It is good for me to cling close to the Lord, The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are one, To this he does not bring us unless we being many have one heart”b. We all tend to be Martha’s in our lives at various points. Life, schedules, these things are required to function
c. True social justice comes from the Trinity, the love of God comes first, not 2nd.
c. Do we take time to Listen to Our Lord as Mary did?
d. We all struggle in this aspect, can be better, must pray for the grace to be so.